LAGOS, Nigeria (VOICE OF NAIJA)- A tenth-grade boy, identified as Harris Wolobah, in USA, has reportedly died after partaking in the viral ‘One Chip Challenge.’
According to National Broadcasting Company (NBC) Boston, Walobah died on the same day he participated in the online trend known as the “One Chip Challenge.”
One Chip Challenge on Tiktok, requires one to eat the entire chip and then wait as long as possible before drinking or eating anything else.
Walobah’s mother is said to have been called to the school on 1 September, when he complained of a stomach-ache. He had reportedly eaten the dangerously spicy chip after it was given to him by a classmate.
The youngster felt better after going home but he passed out at 4.30pm when he was about to leave for basketball lessons.
According to Police department, Lt. Sean Murtha, the boy was unresponsive and not breathing. He was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead.
While Harris’s death marks the first reported fatality after eating the chips, many other children have needed medical attention after eating them.
Superintendent of Worcester Public Schools, Dr. Rachel Monárrez, in a statement published on the Worcester Public Schools website, referred to the teen as a ‘rising star’.
The deceased who hails from Worcester, Massachusetts, was 14-year-old as at the time of his death.