Nigerian On-Air-Personality, Vee, has raised alarm over the unhygienic food items some owners of restaurants use in making for their customers.
In a Twitter thread, Vee said she visited a store where she went to blend tomatoes and pepper she bought in bulk and was shocked when she found a restaurant owner blending rotten tomatoes and pepper brought in by a restaurant owner.
She stated that the store owner told her that many restaurant owners bring such to her to blend.
“While I was there a woman came with a bowl that has things that belonged to the dustbin. She instructed them to wash & grind. Immediately she left,the grinder kept saying, “una dey chop rubbish for restaurant sha”
“Na so them dey buy come keep for here”
“I no fit chop outside,” she wrote.
She continued: “The other lady that was told to wash them, kept hissing and complaining in her native language.
“The remaining ones in the black bowl, was what she could salvage cos they were literally rotten.
Why joke with what people eat? Does it increase their profit margin?
“After dragging food vendors, let’s remember those drink vendors that use plastic containers from hospitals
“When some of these companies were using bottles for their drinks (before the era of plastic ).
“When i was in primary school, a man fell critically ill after gulping an insect (I think cockroach) from the bottle ..
“Some of these bottles weren’t washed properly before they’re refilled.
“The said bottling company offered him a whooping amount to buy his silence but the gist couldn’t stay hidden cos his stomach started swelling till he died.
“Zobo, kunu & other street drinks are always my last options.
“Imagine using bottles from a hospital. Same bottles that contain saliva from sick patients etc Una dey drink shaaaa
“Thank God Coke , Pepsi & co no longer wash bottles & refill for us to drink ..”
Her tweets have sparked reactions from Nigerians on the social media platform.
A tweep, Dr Drey said: “We don’t value life here… We value money more! We are using our own hands to cause more damage to our own health.
“A government body should be looking into this BUT they are less concerned.”
Drakfeo tweeted: “Some homeless people who sleep on the floor in hospitals use those plastic bottles as their urinals. They pee in it seal and put in their back pack.
“Someone will go and pick such from the waste bin, empty, wash then use to sell zobo, kunu or tigernut drink.”
Philippe wrote: “I once drank zobo in school and the next day I woke to vomiting and stooling for greenish substance. To cut the story short, I almost died. Since then, I stop buying those drinks. We should be more careful of what we consume.”