ENUGU, Nigeria (VOICE OF NAIJA)- The Presidency on Tuesday fired back at former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, accusing him of politicising the recent military airstrike on Jilli Market in Borno State.
Special Adviser to the President on Media and Communications, Sunday Dare, in a strongly worded statement, described Atiku’s reaction to the incident as “misleading,” “reckless,” and lacking patriotism.
In a post on his X handle, @sundaydareSD, titled “ATIKU: QUESTIONABLE PATRIOT, Dare criticised the former vice president for alleging that the Federal Government targeted civilians in the airstrike.
“At a time when our Armed Forces are taking the fight directly to terrorist enclaves, it is both disappointing and telling to see Atiku Abubakar politicise the recent airstrikes at Jilli Market by alleging that the government is targeting civilians,” he said.
Dare explained that the Nigerian Air Force operation was intelligence-driven and targeted insurgent positions around the Jilli axis.
According to him, although still known as Jilli Market, the location has long ceased to function as a civilian trading centre.
“Let it be clear: while the location may still be referred to as ‘Jilli Market’, it has not functioned as a legitimate civilian marketplace in any meaningful sense.
READ ALSO 2027: Only God Can Stop Atiku From Contesting
“By multiple credible accounts, it has evolved into an operational node within the insurgency’s supply chain facilitating movement, coordination, and sustenance of violent actors.
“For Atiku Abubakar to ignore this context and frame a legitimate military action as an attack on civilians is not only misleading it is reckless.
“It risks distorting public understanding and undermining the morale of those on the frontlines who are daily risking their lives to secure the country.”
The presidential aide further accused Atiku of double standards, noting that he often criticises government for insecurity but condemns decisive military actions.
“What remains difficult to reconcile is the contradiction. He consistently criticises the government for failing to curb insecurity, yet when decisive, intelligence-driven action is taken, he is quick to condemn it.
“That is not principled opposition it is opportunism,” Dare said.
He added: “At some point, clarity must prevail. You cannot dine with the devil and still pretend to stand with the masses. Nigeria deserves seriousness, not selective outrage.”
Meanwhile, Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, backed the military operation, confirming that Jilli Market had been shut down five years ago due to insurgency.
“I have been properly briefed on the airstrike carried out by the Air Component of Operation Hadin Kai on Jilli market, a border town between Borno and Yobe states.
“Let me state categorically that the Borno State Government closed Jilli and Gazabure markets five years ago,” Zulum said.
He added that the state government works closely with security agencies before reopening any market or resettling communities affected by insurgency.
Also reacting, Defence authorities defended the strike as part of a new counter-insurgency strategy.
A senior military official, Christopher Musa, warned that individuals aiding terrorists would be treated as enemies.
“A friend of a thief is a thief. Anybody who is doing any trading or providing any support to them (terrorists), we will find you together, and we will deal with you like bandits, like terrorists,” he said.
The controversy surrounding the Jilli airstrike has continued to spark debate across political and security circles, highlighting the delicate balance between military operations and public perception in Nigeria’s fight against insurgency.
While the Federal Government insists the operation targeted terrorist infrastructure, critics maintain concerns over civilian safety setting the stage for a broader political clash ahead of the 2027 elections.


