IBADAN, Nigeria (VOICE OF NAIJA) – Some Nigerian students stranded in a desert in Sudan have cried out for help in a video newly released on social media.
In a video trending on Twitter, three students; 2 men and a young lady could seen by the roadside and at the other side of it is a desert.
The lady said they were tired as they had nothing to drink or eat or even money to spend on anything.
According to her, the buses mobilized by the federal government have failed to pick them up over failure to pay the drivers’ mobilization fee.
“We don’t know where we are,” three of the students said.
They also raised an alarm over their security.
Recall that to facilitate the repatriation, the government had released $1.5m for hiring 40 buses to convey her stranded citizens from Sudan to Cairo in Egypt.
The money was paid to an undisclosed transport company at 12:37 pm by the Central Bank of Nigeria through the National Emergency Management Agency.
The Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, confirmed on Tuesday that the payment had been made, noting that the evacuees would take off on Wednesday morning.
The evacuation was meant to take place against the backdrop of the three-day ceasefire starting midnight Tuesday declared by the Sudanese armed forces and the Rapid Support Force.
The Federal Government had planned the repatriation of Nigerian nationals in that country on Tuesday but had to shift the evacuation to Wednesday (today) for security reasons.
Voiceofnaija.ng had reported that the government sought the support of the Egyptian authorities to evacuate the 5,500 stranded Nigerians out of Sudan through Luxor, Egypt.