ENUGU, Nigeria (VOICE OF NAIJA) – After two months, the panel investigating the allegations of killings, extortion and organ harvesting leveled against some senior officers of two Police formations in Anambra has submitted its report.
According to a text message by the Force Public Relations Officer, CSP Muyiwa Adejobi, on Sunday, the response was based on enquiries by journalists in Awka.
In February, a whistleblower accused three members of the state police force of being involved in the atrocities, sharing evidence through an online blog: Gistlover.
The allegations included torturing and forceful acquisition of properties owned by arrested victims.
The Police Officers involved in the allegations are the Commander Rapid Response Squad in Anambra, CSP Patrick Agbazue; the Zonal Public Relations Officer, Zone 13, Ukpo, SP Nkeiru Nwode; and Inspector Harrison Akama.
The force headquarters following the allegations, set up a panel to investigate the matter after inviting the officers involved to Abuja, and subsequently freeing them.
It was gathered that the panel has submitted its report to the Inspector General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba.
The force PRO, who disclosed this in a text message upon enquiry on Sunday said: “I am aware that the team has carried an investigation into the allegations, and a report has been sent to the IGP recently. I will get a copy of the report and act.”
The Anambra State government has kept mum over the outcome of the review of case files involving the senior police officers.
The Anambra State Governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, also ordered the Attorney-General of the state, Mrs Chika Ifemeje, to immediately call up all case files handled by the indicted police officers, following the revelation.
Efforts to get information as regards the matter from the commissioner on the outcome of the reviews, had been abortive as she has refused to speak on the matter.
However, a source in the ministry told journalists in confidence that no review has been done.
“The panel by the IGP, which was supposed to last two weeks, has taken close to two months, but Anambra State, whose citizens are the ones being butchered and their parts sold by these officers have kept quiet, refusing to review the file as they had initially been ordered by the Governor. It is a shame,” the source added.