British-Nigerian boxer, Anthony Joshua has reacted after heavyweight champion, Tyson Fury called him out on a title fight for the WBC belt.
Anthony Joshua said he would be ready to fight Tyson Fury ‘in December’ after the WBC champion proposed a “Battle of Britain” heavyweight clash.
Fury had suggested he was considering retiring from the sport after defeating Dillian Whyte in April but there have been reports that he has been seeking a high-profile bout with Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk.
Talks had begun to match Fury, the WBC titlist, with Oleksandr Usyk, the Ukrainian who beat Joshua last month to defend the unified WBO, WBA and IBF belts, in an undisputed heavyweight championship fight.
But it has emerged that Usyk will not be able to box again this year.
It leaves Fury looking for an opponent. He wants that to be former champion Joshua next.
“I think you’ve all heard that I’m going to be fighting soon within the next few months,” Fury said.
“I think that before I announce an opponent that I need to do this just in case.
“Anthony Joshua, I know you’ve just lost a fight to Usyk and you’re bout-less at the moment, and I’d like to give you an opportunity to fight me for the WBC heavyweight championship of the world and the lineal championship in the next few months,” he said in a public address to Joshua.
“You’re coming off a 12-round fight, so you’re match fit, you’re ready. I’m giving you a few months’ notice.
“If you’re interested I’ll send you the date over and we can rumble. A battle of Britain for the WBC heavyweight championship of the world.
“Let me know if you’re interested, if not I will select another opponent.”
Fury later repeated his offer to Joshua via Twitter on Monday evening, claiming he has both the “date and venue” arranged.
Joshua responded later that evening, directing Fury to his management team to discuss a deal.
“Yea calm,” Joshua posted. “I don’t do the online discussions just for clout, so if your really about it shout @258mgt.
“I’ll be ready in December.”
Fury’s promoter Frank Warren has revealed that they are sending an offer to Joshua’s representatives on Tuesday.
“We’re sending a written offer across today to them,” Warren told talkSPORT.
“My son George spoke with Eddie Hearn yesterday.
“It’s us who have made the approach to give AJ a great opportunity to get himself back into the top level against the world champion Tyson.
“He’s willing to make that voluntary defence, so we’ll send the offer across today and then they’ll have to look at it and decide whether they wanna grab this with both hands.
“The terms that we are gonna put forward I think are very, very fair.”
With much of the details of the potential showdown up in the air, Warren added: “In the UK and hopefully in November, that’s what we’re looking at.“